I suggest you ...

Add a ladder system to rank players locally/state-wide/country

This would allow people to rate themselves. Additionally, you could opt out with a "fun" mode to avoid the ranking system.

This opens up the possibility of unlocking achievements or icons next to your alias?

133 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    quist shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminHåkon (Developer, Wordfeud) responded  · 

For this to work it would probably be best to use the location / GPS services of the phone, which requires yet another permission. How do you guys feel about this?

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mikael Lindholm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see this. 1 ladder/board (like 'swedish standard board', etc).

Of course there will always be people that will try to cheat - like described in the previous post. But I'd still like to try it, and see how it turns out.

And it would be cool if there could be a Tournament function, maybe based on ranking?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Publishing ranks is bizarre, as it's easy to cheat: just create a dummy account on another device, play against this dummy account and win all the time!
        What would be nice and realistic though, is being able to see the ranks of people you trust: your wf friends! So pls add the option that your wf friends can see your ranking!

• Bruce Metelerkamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely when registering we had to specify country.. and region within that?
        This should be enough to rank geographically. I would like to see the locality ladder implemented but not requiring GPS. Off-topic: I would like to able to choose players within my region (to avoid day/night issues).

• sdf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could be ok, just be sure to put in the ability to deselect it, as i would not use it.. Would be crazy if i had to have gps on while playing wordfeud.

• Sveinung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GPS is not the best option. Ranks would have to be language specific, as average score probably varies over different languages, right? I live in Denmark, but I play most games in Norwegian, with norwegians in Norway. My ranking in Denmark in Norwegian is thus not very relevant, agree?

PS I want to be ranked in nynorsk. Please add the nynorsk dictionary option soon! :-)

• Hannes Toss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see the point of this since its easy to cheat the list would just top the cheaters

• Ingo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not see the added value of a local ladder. Just one ladder per language will do the job. This also keeps the game simple.

• KaczMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be prepared to allow Wordfeud to access the location/GPS services of the phone, for this feature. I think the cost-benefit equation is definitely in favour of the benefit here... Please do it!

• jessegilbride commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

naw, I don't need that. that's getting a bit over the top with functionality. perhaps it could post to a website leaderboard, though, based on your profile having a "home location". much simpler. :)

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with Erwin: use OpenFeint. It is a well designed system, is easy to implement and doesn't require any permissions you don't already have

• KaczMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would be OK...many users already allow location info for many other apps, and this one is such a good one that it's worth doing...

• TomOS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not necessary to give this high priority. Lots of other options to work on first..

• Sketchee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Opt in by filling out a profile would be good enough. GPS isn't necessary since it's just-for-fun data more than a killer feature

• Annabomber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I currently live in Arizona, the state is 49th in education. I'm sure I'd be ranked high whereas if I were home in Minnesota, I'd be just right on par.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but people would have to allow GPS, which I don't like because my overclocked phone already drains enough as it is. If you just need a one-time permission, that'd be great, but if you need constant GPS, that seems rather intrusive and arduous.

• Andy Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like either method but agree that gps is probably overkill. A zip/postal code list seems simpler.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base